Seminary Ridge in Gettysburg is named for the Lutheran Theological Seminary overlooking Gettysburg from the west. On July 1, 1863, Union cavalry defended positions on and adjacent to the ridge in defending against Confederate assaults.
General Robert E. Lee made his headquarters there following the Gettysburg day 1 battle as he had a good view of the Union positions from these heights. He occupied the Thaddeus Stevens building which was originally built in 1834.
On July 2 and July 3, 1863, Confederate artillery used these heights as an artillery position to bombard Union defenses on Cemetery Hill. The ridge also offered good cover from Union scouts in hiding troop movements during the last 2 days of battle.
On July 3, close to 500 Confederates were casualties on the ridge due to Union artillery prior to the Confederate assault. From the ridge, Confederates commanded by Generals Pettigrew and Trimble attacked the Union positions during Pickett's Charge.
< Return from Seminary Ridge to Gettysburg Battlefield
< Return from Seminary Ridge to Total Gettysburg